19 JULY 2017
BABISHAI 2017 HAIKU SHORTLIST IS OUT
The three esteemed Babishai 2017 Haiku judges, Adjei Agyei-Baah, co-founder of the Africa Haiku Network, Mercy Ikuri, a landscape designer and award-winning haikuist from Kenya and Emmanuel Kalusian, editor of the Mamba Journal, had an uphill task of selecting the shortlist of the 2017 Babishai Haiku prize.
This upheaval task, with over twice the number of submissions as last year, was an evident reward, with a significant increase in the interest of the African haiku.
The shortlist is filled with unwavering talent, intricate African imagery and recognizable brilliance. Congratulations to all those on the shortlist, who come from various parts of Sub-Saharan Africa. Below, in no particular order, are the shortlisted:-
1. Charlotte Akello from Uganda
2. Usman Karofi from Nigeria
3. Kariuki wa Nyamu from Kenya
4. Anthony Itopa Obaro from Nigeria
5. Ahmad Holderness from Nigeria
6. Fred Kweku Forson from Ghana
7. Acen Miriam Carolyne from Uganda
8. Kwao Jonathan Tetteh from Ghana
9. Nnedi Ezenwa Ohaeto from Nigeria
10. Alawonde Theophilus Femi from Nigeria
11. Justice Joseph Prah from Ghana
12. Osemwengie Zion from Nigeria
13. Kuadegbeku Pamela from Ghana
14. Abubasam Fahad Mutumba from Uganda
15. Akor Emmanuel Oche from Nigeria
16. Dan’bala Umar from Ghana
17. Obaji-Nwali Shegun from Nigeria
You may read the full winning haikus from here
The winners will be announced on Sunday 6 August at the Babishai 2017 poetry festival dinner. Three winners will receive cash prizes, will be published in the Mamba journal and participate in selected literary festivals around the continent.
Festival programme is here:-
The Babishai Niwe Poetry Foundation Organising Committee
Tel: +256 703147862
The Babishai 2017 Poetry Festival runs from 4 – 6 August.
2 thoughts on “PRESS RELEASE-THE BABISHAI 2017 HAIKU SHORTLIST IS OUT”
Congratulations to all the shortlisted poets! I can’t wait to read their works
Congratulations to the shortlisted poets